Bisoke adventure is one of the most memorable activities in Rwanda. The top of this Volcano has a spectacular crater lake. The whole excursion can takes 5 hours and the whole day depending on the speed of the walk and the frequency of stops. The ascent typically takes around 3 hours. During the climb, you will cross a series of different vegetation habitats starting with bamboo forests, then moving into Hagenia – Hypericum forest and finally moving through Senecio – Lobelia bush near the summit.
- This tour starts and ends in Kigali (Rwanda)
- You’ll visit Volcanoes NP
- Getting around: normal 4×4 vehicle
- A transfer from and back to the airport (or hotel) can be arranged for extra cost
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour can be arranged for Extra Cost
Day 1: Visoke Volcano Hiking
Wake up at 5:00 am and take off for a 2 hour drive to Volcanoes Park. Upon arrival, Take breakfast and then take off to the park Station for briefing by the park warden. After the briefing, drive to the starting point of the hike.
During the earlier ascend You shall observe a range of different of unique plants as you cross from one vegetation zone to another. Throughout the trek you shall make occasional stops to rest a bit and take in the magnificent scenery all around. Finally you get to the summit which is flat with a big Crater Lake measuring about 400 meters of diameter and estimated depth of about 100 meters. Though the volcano is shared between Rwanda and Congo, the entire Bisoke summit lies within Rwanda. Due to the large diameter you may not afford enough time to rim the entire Crater Lake to view the other areas of the Virungas, so you can only see the peak of Mt Karisimbi and Mt Mikeno in Congo. Descend and Transfer to Kigali late in the afternoon.
- Main destination: Volcanoes National Park
- Accommodation: End of tour (no accommodation)
- Meals & drinks: Breakfast (Lunch & dinner not included)
- Rates are per person and exclude the international flight from/to your home country.
- Solo travelers can join this group tour, but it requires a minimum of 2 people to run.
- Park fees (for non-residents)
- All activities (unless labeled as optional)
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation (unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- Meals (as specified in the day-by-day section)
- Rescue fee
- Climbing gear
- International flights (from/to home)
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips (tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items (souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees